Jay K. Morgan, MD, FAANS
Dr. Jay Morgan joined Sierra Neurosurgery Group in 1993 because he knew he could make a difference here – both for his patients and his community.
The well-seasoned surgical group appealed to him because of its long history in the community and its instrumental role in developing the practice of neurosurgery in Northern Nevada.
Treating complex spine disorders and cerebral vascular disease are among Dr. Morgan’s specialties. He also has extensive experience with the artificial lumbar disc replacement, a promising new treatment for degenerative disc disease recently approved by the FDA.
Dr. Morgan came to Sierra Neurosurgery Group after serving on the academic staff at Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit, Michigan where he completed his residency. Dr. Morgan is currently Chief of Neurosurgery at the region’s largest hospital, Renown Regional Medical Center.
University Hospitals of Cleveland Ohio
Henry Ford Hospital
National Institute of Health
Certified by the National Board of Medical Examiners
Certified by the American Board of Neurological Surgery
- American Medical Society
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons
- Congress of Neurological Surgeons
- Nevada State Medical Association
- North American Spine Society
- Western Neurological Society
Jay K. Morgan, M.D. Curriculum Vitae
- 1972 – 1976 Secondary School: Columbus Academy
- 1976 – 1980 Undergraduate University: Ohio State University
- 1980 – 1984 Medical School: Ohio State University
- 1988 – 1989 Fellowship: National Institutes of Health
- 1985-1990 Residency: Henry Ford Hospital
Honors and Awards:
- 1984 Family Practice
- 1984 Cardiology
- 1983 General Surgery
- 1981, 1982 Roessler Research Scholarship
- April 1989 Cushing Award-AANS Annual Meeting
- June 1980 Bachelor of Arts (Major: Chemistry)
- June 1984 Doctor of Medicine
- July 1985 National Board of Medical Examiners
- May 1989 American Board of Neurological Surgeons
- May 1994 Diplomate, American Board of Neurological Surgeons
Continued Medical Education:
- June 1989 Midas Rex
- September 1989 Advanced Cardiac Life Support
- November 1988 Medisonics Transcranial Doppler
- November 1991 BNI Spine Workshop
- June 1992 Spine Instrumentation Applications
- July 1993 St. Mary’s Regional Medical Center, Reno, Nevada
- July 1993 Washoe Medical Center, Reno, Nevada
- July 1993 Veteran’s Administration Medical Center, Reno, Nevada
- July 1993 Northern Nevada Medical Center, Sparks, Nevada
- Jan. 1991 – June 1993 Henry Ford Hospital Department of Neurosurgery, Detroit, Michigan, Senior Staff
- Jan. 1988 – Dec. 1989 Medical Staff Fellowship, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland
- July 1985 – Dec. 1990 Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, Michigan, Residency in Neurosurgery
- July 1984 – June 1985 Case Western Reserve University, University Hospitals of Cleveland, Cleveland, Ohio, Internship in General Surgery
- July 1993 Nevada
- January 1991 Michigan
- September 1991 Maryland
- July 1980 – June 1984 Student National Medical Association
- July 1981 – June 1982 President
- 1981, 1982, 1983 National Delegate
- 1981 – 1984 Landacre Research Society
- June 15, 1991 AANS – Candidate Member
- June 1, 1991 Wayne County Medical Society
- June 1, 1991 Michigan State Medical Society
- April 1, 1991 American Medical Society
- January, 1992 Congress of Neurological Surgeons
- June 1984 – June 1992 The Ohio State University Alumni Association
- 1992 International Stroke Society
- 1992 Joint Section on Cerebrovascular Surgery
- 1992 American Heart Association, Stroke Fellow
- September 1993 Washoe County Medical Society
- September 1993 Nevada State Medical Association
- January 1994 Joint Section on Neurotrauma and Critical Care
Committees and Appointments:
Henry Ford Hospital:
1992 Animal Care Committee
1993 Trauma Council
1993 Ethics Committee
St. Mary’s Regional Medical Center:
1995-2000 Chairman of Neurosurgery
Washoe Medical Center:
1993 PICU Steering Committee
1995-2004 Chairman of Neurosurgery
Washoe County Medical Society:
1993 WCMS Allied Field Commission
1995 WCMS Medical Practice Commission
St. Mary’s Regional Medical Center:
2002 Elected Member-at-large, Surgical Services Division
Sierra Neurosurgery Group
2001-2003 Managing Partner
- 1979 Spectrophotometric Quantitative Analysis of Vitamin C
- 1981-1983 Development of the Basilar Pons, James King, Ph.D., Ohio State University. Examined morphological changes in pontine neurons during stages of fetal development.
- 1981-1983 Neuroscience Lab Surgical Assistant
- 1988 Central Nervous System Implantation Lab
- 1988 Culture and Implantation of Fetal Dopaminergic Neurons and Fetal Astrocytes Dr. Robert Plunkett, Dr. Krystopher Bankkiewicz. Performed stereotactic implantation procedures with fetal tissue and investigated recovery of 6 OH dopamine-lesioned rats.
- 1988-1989 Primate Model of Vasospasm
King JS, Morgan JK, Bishop GA, Hazlett JC, Martin GF. Development of the basilar pons in the North American opossum: dendrogenesis and maturation of efferent and afferent connections. Anatomy and Embryology (Berl): 1987, 176(2): 191-202.
Cyrar AK, Morgan JK, Rock JP, Wiskerhof M. Pituitary metastasis: lung cancer presenting as bitemporal hemianopsia with diabetes insipidus and anterior pituitary deficiency. Henry Ford Hospital Medical Journal: 1987, 35(4): 185-187.
Malik GM, Morgan JK, Boulos RS, Ausman, JI. Venous angiomas: an underestimated cause of intracranial hemorrhage. Surgical Neurology: 1988;30:350-8.
Malik GM, Morgan JK, Ausman, JI. Management of venous angiomas. Neurosurgery Update. In press. Eds: Wilkins and Rengachary.
Morgan JK, Sadasivan B, Ausman JI, Mehta B. Thrombolytic therapy and posterior circulation extracranial-intracranial bypass for acute basilar artery thrombosis. Case report. Surgical Neurology 1990;33-45-7.
Morgan, JK, Olson J: Hormonal Response of Meningiomas. Meningiomas and Their Surgical Management. HH Schmidek (ed). W.B. Saunders, Co. pp 48-55, 1991.
Filling-Katz MR, Choyke PL, Oldfield E., Charnas L., Patronas NJ, Glenn GM, Gorin MB, Morgan JK, Linehan WM, Seizinger BR, Zbar
B: Central Nervous System Involvement in Von Hippel Lindau Disease.
Tomececk FJ, Morgan JK: Ophthalmoplegia with bilateral ptosis secondary to mid brain hemorrhage. A case with clinical and radiological correlation. Accepted to Surgical Neurology, June 1993.
Mahmood A, Caccamo DV, Morgan JK: Tenosynovialgian cell tumor of the cervical spine: Case report. October 1993. NPY in a primate model of subarachnoid hemorrhage. RM Pluta, A Pika-Starosta, A Zauner, JK Morgan, KM Muraszko, M Gerter, EH Oldfield.
Presentations and Abstracts:
Development of the Basilar Pons in the North American Opossum Dendrogenesis and Maturation of Afferent and Efferent Connections. Presented at the American Association of Anatomist National Meeting in Atlanta, Georgia.
Venous Angiomas – An Underestimated Cause of Intracranial Hemorrhage. Presented at the 12th International Conference of Stroke and Cerebral Circulation, Tampa, Florida, 1987.
Effect of Concentrated Antibiotic Solution on the Survival of Rat Fetal Dopaminergic Neurons. JK Morgan, RJ Plunkett, MA Palmatier, and EG Oldfield. Presented at the 1988 meeting of the Society for Neuroscience, Toronto, Ontario.
Management of Venous Angiomas. Malik GM, Morgan JK, Boulos R, Ausman JI. Presented at the Michigan Association of Neurological Surgeons Annual Meeting in Traverse City, Michigan, 1988.
Malik GM, Morgan JK, Ausman JI. Management of Venous Angiomas. Cerebral Angioma Update – 87, Verona, Italy, October 1987.
Management of Venous Angiomas. Malik GM, Morgan JK, Boulos R, Ausman JI. Presented at the 9th International Congress of Neurological Surgery, New Delhi, India, 1989.
Mechanism of Hypothalamic – Pituitary – Adrenal Insufficiency after Selective Adenomectomy in Cushing’s Disease. JK Morgan, Lynnette Nieman, DA Katz, EHOldfield. Presented at the 1989 meeting of the American Association of Neurological Surgeons in Washington, DC.
Thrombolytic Therapy for Basilar Artery Thrombosis. B Sadasivan, JK Morgan, B Mehta, WP Sanders, JI Ausman. Presented at the 1989 meeting of the American Association of Neurological Surgeons in Washington, DC.
MRI with Gadolinium: Evaluation of CNS Lesions in von Hippel Lindau Disease. JK Morgan, D Barba, M Filling-Katz, P Choyka, EH Oldfield. Presented at the 1989 meeting of the American Association of Neurological Surgeons in Washington, DC.
Spinal cord Hemangioblastomas in von Hippel Lindau’s Disease. JK Morgan, KM Muraszko, M Filling-Katz, P Choyke, EH Oldfield. Presented at the 1989 Congress of Neurologic Surgeons in Atlanta, Georgia.
Primate Subarachnoid Hemorrhage Model: Correlation of Blood Velocity with Area Diameter of the Middle Cerebral Artery. A Zauner, JK Morgan, R Pluta, K Muraszko, M Gerter, E Oldfield. Presented at the AANS-1990 Annual Meeting.
Intraoperative Color-Flow Doppler Imaging of Lesions in the Brainstem and Spinal Cord. KM Muraszko, JK Morgan, C Shelly, T Shawker, E Oldfield. Presented at the AANS- 1990 Annual Meeting.
Influence of Individual Blood Components on the Development of Vasospasm in a Primate Model of Subarachnoid Hemorrhage. JK Morgan, A Zauner, R Pluta, KM Muraszko, D Barba, M Gerter, JL Doppman, EH Oldfield. Presented at the AANS-1990 Annual Meeting.
Influence of Individual Blood Components on the Development of Vasospasm in a Primate Model of Subarachnoid Hemorrhage. JK Morgan. Presented at the MANS-1990 Annual Meeting.
Intracranial Tumors and von Hippel-Lindau Disease. JK Morgan. Presented at the 1990 Neuroscience Nurse Internship Program. Primate Subarachnoid Hemorrhage (SAH) Model: Correlation of Blood Velocity with Area and Diameter of the Middle Cerebral Artery (MCA). A Zauner, R Pluta, JK Morgan, KM Muraszko, M Girton, EH Oldfield. Presented at the 9th European Congress of Neurosurgery, Moscow, June, 1991.
The Mechanism of Post SAH Vasospasm in Multifactorial. JK Morgan, A Zauner, RM Pluta, M Muraszko, M Gerter, EH Oldfield. Presented at the 9th European Congress of Neurosurgery, Moscow, June, 1991.
Vasospasm is a Real Spasm-An Answer to Mizukami’s Question. R Pluta, A Zauner, JK Morgan, K Muraszko, EH Oldfield. Presented at the 9th European Congress of Neurosurgery, Moscow, June, 1991.
Incidence and Distribution of Hemangioblastomas In Patients With Lindau’s Disease. JK Morgan, M.D., Karin Muraszko, M.D., Michelle Filling-Katz, M.D., Peter Choyke, M.D.,Edward Oldfield, M.D. Presented at the 42nd Annual Meeting of the Presentations and Western Neurosurgical Society, Manele Bay, Island of Lanai, Hawaii, September, 1996.
Mechanism of SAH induced cerebral vasospasm in multifactorial. JK Morgan, A Zauner, R Pluta, KM Muraszko, D Barbu, M Girton, J Poppman, EH Oldfield. Correlation of TCD measurements to arterial area measurements in primate model of subarachnoid hemorrhage; A Zauner, JK Morgan, RM Pluta, KM Muraszko, M Girton, EH Oldfield.
- April, 1989 Neurosurgery resident lecture, Walter Reed Hospital. Neurosurgical manifestations of von Hippel-Lindau’s disease.
- August, 1989 Neurosurgery Grand Rounds, Georgetown University. Spinal Cord Hemangioblastomas.
- July, 1990 Neurosurgery Grand Rounds, Wayne State University. Mechanism of cerebral vasospasm following subarachnoid hemorrhage.
- April 5, 1991 Neurology/Neurosurgery Grand Rounds, Mechanism of Vasospasm.
- November, 1991 Neurosurgery Grand Rounds, Henry Ford Hospital. Neurosurgical Management of Von Hippel-Lindau’s disease. Neurosurgery Grand Rounds, SUNY Buffalo, Mechanism of Vasospasm.
- 12/03 Nursing Seminar Subarachnoid Hemorrhage.
- 02/04 Trauma Symposium, Washoe Medical Center.
- October, 2010 CD Horizon Solera Training
- November 6, 1991 Fairbanks Elementary School, Neurosurgery.
- February 17, 1992. Beaubien Middle School, Neurosurgery
- Nevada, 2000 Trustee Bethel AME, Sparks.